Team C's Devotional Sharing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

April 24th - Chapter Nine

2 posters

Go down

April 24th - Chapter Nine Empty April 24th - Chapter Nine

Post by James Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:16 am

In chapter eight, God had shown Ezekiel four explicit examples of idolatry against Him.
Chapter nine is when the idolaters of Israel receive their judgment - by six angels with deadly weapons.
The righteous would've received a mark on the foreheads by the man clothed in linen.

I am very curious if this "man clothed in linen" could be recognized as one who resembles Christ.
Joseph wrapped Christ's body in clean linen in Matthew 27:59.
Also, Revelation 15:6 the angels were wrapped in clean shining linen
Revelation 16:17, the 7th angel poured out his bowl in the air and out of the temple came a loud voice from the throne, saying, "It is done!"
Revelation 21:6 says "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega."

Apart from the fact that it may be or may not be resembling Christ, "the man clothed in linen" had gone through the city of Jerusalem and put a mark on the foreheads of those who were deemed as righteous - those who "grieve and lament" over the detestable idolatry.
This instantly reminded me of the blood that was smeared on the doors in exodus during Passover.
Also, with Cain - God had placed a mark on him that nobody would harm him.
My study bible says that a mark would be usually be the last letter of the Hebrew alphabet which originally looked like an "x" or a cross.

I believe that when our time of judgment comes, we will be judged by the mark upon our foreheads - which symbolizes Christ.
It's awesome to see how we can accept this idea scripturally for ourselves - as it seems that God makes it clear cut that our righteousness would be from the cross.

The angels were commanded to start with the temple first, as apparently it was the most defiled area of Jerusalem.
That's almost the equivalent of our modern-day church.
This speaks wonders upon how much idolatry was found within Jerusalem and also the fact that the temple was the primary source of evil.
Ezekiel begins to plead with God, but continues anyways, as "the sin of the house of Israel and Judah is exceedingly great" (v.9)
Sin, bloodshed, and injustice are the three examples given as "He pours out His wrath" (an interesting saying that keeps coming up).
The chapter concludes with the "man in linen" returning to God, stating that He had finished what God commanded.

We begin seeing God's judgment against the idolaters explained in chapter eight through the six angels and also the "man clothed in linen".
I think this judgment has to do alot with God's glory. We seem to forget that God's intention and purpose primarily is to give Himself the glory that He deserves - as chapter seven kept repeating, "Then they will know that I am the LORD."
Recognition and acknowledgement of God's sovereignty goes a long way, and Ezekiel is definitely most helpful in understanding and interpreting His greatness.

I'll be going to the Taiwanese natives within a province called Taidong which is up in the mountains. Please pray for my team of eight as we step out in faith to preach the gospel and to build up local churches there. I heard we might even do door-to-door evangelism.
Please pray for me boys!

James
Admin

https://milalteamc.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

April 24th - Chapter Nine Empty Re: April 24th - Chapter Nine

Post by StephenRYUUUU Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:27 pm

We see the punishment and wrath of God to the people of Jerusalem in this chapter. 6 Figures are killing those who do not have the mark written by the man clothed in linen. At first reading this chapter seemed confusing to me. That this would be the picture in my head if we there were no Jesus, no saviour. But reading what James had wrote and thinking more, you could connect Jesus with the man clothed in linen. The one who marks the peoples foreheads who also "grieve and lament over all the detestable things." And it really does make me think about the end in which will we have a heart parallel to God's.
Yet now the more I think about it, God really does show His wrath to those who are not saved. Reading this really shows a good representation of those who are saved and those who are not. Seeing God's Almighty nature in doing this to Jerusalem and also seeing more of His character through this.
We see Ezekiel fall face down when questioning God, once again showing His respect and a sign that he is not worthy to face God.. Maybe it's even out of literal fear He does this. He asks God if all of Israel will be destroyed through this but God answers differently. He gives the reason as to why He is doing this (Verse 10) "So I will not look on them with pity or spare them, but I will bring down on their own heads what they have done".
It really shows how Great and Almighty our God.

StephenRYUUUU

Back to top Go down