Team C's Devotional Sharing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

May 9th - Chapter Eighteen and Nineteen

Go down

May 9th - Chapter Eighteen and Nineteen Empty May 9th - Chapter Eighteen and Nineteen

Post by James Sun May 10, 2015 5:46 am

After reading chapter eighteen, it seems as if Israel was challenging God as if He were unjust (v.29).
Israel was complaining that they were being made to suffer for the sins of their ancestors rather than for their own sins.
It seems as if they were held accountable to the sons that their forefathers bore.
God reassures them as he speaks through Ezekiel, through an example of a righteous man who bores a wicked son, who would become the father of a righteous son.
He states that the 3rd generation would not be held accountable for his father's sin but his father would perish for his own (v.17-18).

I actually have a question, if we are held accountable to our own sins then why are we naturally depraved from God because of Adam and Eve's transgression?

Anyways, we see God's second call to repentance in Ezekiel within the last 3 verses.
31-32: Rid of yourselves of all the offenses you have committed, and get a new heart and a new spirit. why will you die, O house of Israel?
For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent and live!

Here we can see that God's intention for all is to live eternally with Him.
Also, this reminds me of 1 Timothy 2:4 as it says that God our Savior would want all men to be saved.
Many are called, but few are chosen.
Many cannot come because of one primary reason - they won't come.
As we regard God's just judgment for every single individual, this should give us peace to realize that we do not bore the sins of anyone else except our own.
We are certainly not anyone's saviour and we are not dependent on anyone else for their righteousness, except Christ.

Chapter 19 speaks about how Israel was a great lion prior to her cubs becoming great lions (wicked kings).
Verse 10 reminds Israel that thy were like a vine in a vineyard, planted near the water in which it was fruitful and full of branches.
However, Egypt and Babylon had destroyed them, "with hooks they pulled him into a cage".
My study bible says that Jehoiachin who we visited in chapter seventeen died even on the way to Babylon for his rebellion/treason against Babylon.
But we must be reminded of the promise that God had said within chapter seventeen, that in the midst of all these sins, he would take a "shoot" from the very top of a cedar and plant it.
The Messiah was presented in a beautiful Messianic promise, using the previous imagery we saw in chapter fifteen.

These two chapters really focus on what happened after Jehoiachin's rebellion, that his sins would be accounted for on a personal level.
That the righteous would be judged righteously and the wicked would be judged wickedly.
And in the midst of that it shows how great of a lion Israel was prior to this incident.
However, restoration is promised and how great is our God, that He has always kept His end of the deal in contrast to our constant rebellion towards the covenant.
I'm glad God doesn't love us as much as we love Him...

James
Admin

https://milalteamc.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum